What is the CCPA?
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) was signed into law in June 2018 and went into effect January 1, 2020. The goal of The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), is “to further Californians’ right to privacy by giving consumers an effective way to control their personal information.” The act outlines five new rights protecting California consumers, detailed below:
- The right of Californians to know what personal information is being collected about them.
- The right of Californians to know whether their personal information is sold or disclosed and to whom.
- The right of Californians to say no to the sale of personal information.
- The right of Californians to access (or request deletion of) their personal information.
- The right of Californians to equal service and price, even if they exercise their privacy rights.
How Apptentive Helps
When the Apptentive SDK is deployed within a digital property, Apptentive acts as the Data Processor and our customer is the Data Controller of consumer data.
Apptentive is committed to consumer privacy, and Apptentive:
- will work directly with our customers (the Data Controller) to assist them in meeting their CCPA obligations.
- will ensure our products continue to support CCPA compliance and strong privacy controls.
- can assist the Data Controller in demonstrating compliance to all of its stakeholders.
- helps the Data Controller respond to requests that data subject makes regarding their rights to be informed, access data, rectify data, and erasure.
The CCPA aligns with what has long been Apptentive’s product strategy: enabling companies to love their customers. Our Customer Success team guides our customers to think about engaging people at the right time, in the right place, in the right way, and to be thoughtful about what is the right experience for the consumer. This includes being transparent about how personal data is being used. For us, “Customer Love” includes respect for consumer privacy and trust and making it a priority to protect consumer data.
Data Processing Agreement
When Apptentive customers process personal data using the Apptentive platform, they must first sign our Data Processing Agreement (DPA). Apptentive typically includes a prepared DPA in our contract documentation and encourages our customers to make use of it as it most accurately describes specifics within our product.
If you are a current Apptentive customer who has not signed our DPA, please contact your Customer Success Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.